Tuesday, June 16, 2009

On conserving water

I go through this almost everyday. In my office, the office boys fill up our personal water bottles at our desks every morning. Now we have 2 options for filling water one is through a water decanter and the other is filtered and UV purified tap water. Obviously the office boys fill up the filtered tap water which is sourced from an underground borewell and doesn't taste that great. There's this person in office who comes in every morning, pours out the full 1 litre bottle down the drain and fills the water from the decanter. I told that person that he is wasting fresh water which is very precious on mother earth nowadays. But he doesn't give a damn. This thing continues everyday. Now you may ask, what I do for saving water:
1. When Mugdha (my 4 year old daughter) brushes her teeth, I dont let water run through the tap, but instead give her a small glass filled with water.
2. I water my plants using a bucket and mug. No running water through pipes.
3. I try to use minimal water while doing daily chores and ensure that no water is leaking through the taps and the list goes on an on.
Inspite of all this, I still dont know whether what I am doing is enough?
So I feel, I take a lot of effort to conserve fresh water and when I come across people who dont give a damn about water conservation I feel pain.
Right now the world is running after oil reserves, but going forward, the wars will be waged for want of fresh water.
I have seen even the PMC (can u imagine) doing its bit to conserve fresh water. We have rain water harvesting in new schemes. On the tekdi where I go for my daily walk, they have dug huge trenches so that rain water gets filled and they help maintain the water table level.
If you think about it, in the name of development, the people of the world have used up vast non-renewable resources like fresh water, jungles, oil and so on and nobody gives a damn. Poor fellows, I think the next generation is going to curse us for this.
I can foresee people living in a hell known as earth and fighting for their daily meal. If I think about my daughter Mugdha's generation, what will they do? Where will they go?
Well I am not an alarmist but these thoughts tend to cross my mind once too often and not being able to do anything about it is a crime.
God help us all!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yup, you are right dear!
It is high time to conserve water.

Mast Kalandar said...

साहेब,

असेच काहीतरी समाजोपयोगी रोज लिहित रहा.
नाहीतर तुमची महान प्रतिभा न वापरल्यामुळे गंजणार्या व्हिंटेज गाडीसारखी वाया जाईल.