Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My new old Tata Sierra

The story - I needed a MUV to haul Mangoes across a distance (approx. 400 Kms) and I had a budget of about 2 lakhs for a used one. The options -
1. Ex-Army Mahindra 550XD - Difficult to procure, starts at around 1.5 lakhs and then have to spend 6 months and 2 lakhs to get her to decent performance levels. The up side - you get a full working 4X4 and is a good ego booster. But offers no creature comforts like A/C/PS etc.
2. Bolero - Well did not like the under-powered vehicle and it was a compromise.
3. Tata Safari TCIC - Well decent specimens start at 3 lakhs in the used car market.
4. Tata Sierra - Now thats what I call a good Indian SUV. The production of this wonderful piece of machine stopped somewhere around 2002. She ruled the Indian enthusiasts' hearts for just under a decade and was then replaced by the Tata Safari.

About the Sierra - The Sierra is a 3-door MUV and is powered by a 2 Ltr, IDI Turbo Diesel producing 190NM of torque and a sufficient 90HP. Decent samples are very rare and the ones that you find are abused, rusted and at the end of their life.
The ride quality is phenomenal for all passengers, the driving position is comfortable and is a good highway cruiser. The fuel economy is also good at around 10 KMPL in city and 12 KMPL on the highway for vehicle this size.
Buying the Sierra - As always, logged into the TBHP classifieds and searched for the Sierra. Found really good examples and shot an email to each one of them. Only 1 person from Pune responded and I went and checked out his vehicle. Mumbai registered, but genuinely used in Pune and done around 59K on the ODO. This one was a 95' NA model. Test drove it and the engine still packed a punch.
Spent a good 1 week figuring out the finance and enquiring about spare parts availability.
Closed the deal the following Sunday and brought her home during Ganesh festival.
So I am a proud owner of a Tata Sierra, the car I always wanted to buy but could not buy due to many reasons.



The quest is now ON to rebuild it to its past glory and go even further.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Kaustubh,
Read your story and trust me I am a person just like you.
I have driven this car when my company had given me this car but that time I listened to people and bought a Indica DLS.A good car too.
But now I want to own my dream SUV, my love-The Sierra Turbo.
I have been looking at many ads daily on websites and other classifieds but my major problem is that I am based in UAE-Dubai as of now and don't have anybody reliable to help me buy this car on my behalf.
I don't mind painting the vehicle or doing the interiors but need the engine to be in good condition.
Do you think you can help me in identifying one like you have with you, a good condition, well maintained monster.
I am sure the price will not be too high and also sincerely hope that you will not face any problem in doing this for me.
Its only a request and if you are free, please do consider my request.
And apart from that, if you want anything like parts or anything for vehicle from here (Dubai) do let me know.I am planning to come by end of jan 2011 or max by the 1st week of February.
So rest in the next and looking forward to hear from you.The only colour I will not go for is the Black(personal reasons)
Good bye and happy motoring.
Regards,

Pramod
pramodnair18 at the rate gmail (dot) com