Monday, February 16, 2009

A whirlwind tour of South India - Preparations

I believe, that the choice of your actions alone control your destiny. Where you are now, is not by chance but as a result of your own actions.
The bike, a red Thunderbird arrives in April 08, I rode the bike on and off and finally decide that she craves for an open road to stretch her legs. (I guess it was my craving as well). Coincidently I bump into a long lost friend Rohit (who owns a Thunderbird and is an avid biker). We meet up and discuss plans about 2 riders, 2 bikes and about places like Karwar, Munnar, Alleppey, Kanyakumari and so on and so forth.
The plan falls into place and 25th December 08 is the date when we embark on our journey. The goal is to reach Kanyakumari from Pune riding on NH-17 and come back the same route. But what followed is simply an amazing journey of riding through the western ghats, the narrow, winding NH17 which goes through many amazing places along the coast of Karnata and Kerala and the country right in your face. I am grateful to my parents and my wife without whose whole hearted support this trip would not have been possible.
Preparations –
1. The bikes are serviced. We have spare fuses, bulbs, clutch and accelerator cables etc.
2. I buy a new helmet which fits snugly (or tightly), a pair of riding gloves, sweat caps.
3. Some 20-25 chocolate bars for snacking along the way
4. Some dry fruits (for high energy and I love them anyways)
5. I was not able to find a haversack big enough to accommodate all my clothes, so I carry 2 small bags (which proved to be a problem for some part of the journey) 1 sack and 1 air bag which I planned to tie on the rear seat.
6. Maps taken from Mapsofindia.com for directions and distances. The distance search feature is nice but the distances are not accurate and can vary upto 50 Kms.

No comments: